Code Adam
I've heard it, I just haven't needed it - until yesterday. Yes, yesterday was a first for me, WalMart, and Code Adam.
I was shopping with Will, Erin, and James right next to the fish. You know, kids love fish. So, I told Erin and James to go look at the fish while I finish looking at socks. (They are right next to each other.) I finished and went to the fish to gather my kids and they were gone! I quickly found Erin - but James was NO WHERE! I looked and looked. I asked some employees to page him. I could not see him ANYWHERE! That stinker! Everything is going through my mind when I realize that he is really not near. They send me to the customer service desk and proceed to ask a description on him so they can look and put out a CODE ADAM. The manager came(very nice, by the way) and said that the procedure is that all employees will look for 10 minutes and then they will call the authorities to help with the search. My heart sank. Yes, tears came to my eyes and what a mix of emotions flowed - if you know what I mean.
The manager asked me if it was possible that he went to the car. I didn't know but went and checked with a manager following me. To my great relief, he was there. He was hiding in the back so no one will see him. He was so scared too. UGH! I took him back to the store, they called off the CODE ADAM and gathered my other kids to finish shopping. Erin, James and I were all teary eyed and so relieved we found each other. I think I aged 10 years right there and then.
I learned some things.
1- DO NOT, under any circumstances, let James out of my sight until he is on the plane for his mission. (OK, that is a little drastic - but, come on!)
2- Even though I am scared, mad, embarrassed and every other emotion, let the store help you. It was so nice that I knew they were helping and doing everything they could.
3-When they were asking his description, it was harder than I thought. Some days I don't really know what shoes he was wearing or what coat he put on. I need to make better observations before we go into places that large. (or else dress him the same EVERY day! ha. Ha.)
4- Teach the kids that the employees with a name tag are the "good strangers". If he would have gone to one of the employees and said he was missing his mom- it would have helped out the whole situation. He knows it now.
On the way home Erin asked me if I knew what she was doing while she was waiting with William while I was looking for James. She said that she was saying a lot of prayers to help find him. I'm so thankful for faithful children.
Although I have more grey hair on top, prayers are answered and we are all OK. (OK I say because this trip was right after a Dr. visit with Erin and James both being diagnosed with strep throat. I know, I know, it is one thing or another at this house. I can't wait until warmer weather!)
Don't be afraid of Code Adam and I'll pay more attention next time I hear one and help them out.
I was shopping with Will, Erin, and James right next to the fish. You know, kids love fish. So, I told Erin and James to go look at the fish while I finish looking at socks. (They are right next to each other.) I finished and went to the fish to gather my kids and they were gone! I quickly found Erin - but James was NO WHERE! I looked and looked. I asked some employees to page him. I could not see him ANYWHERE! That stinker! Everything is going through my mind when I realize that he is really not near. They send me to the customer service desk and proceed to ask a description on him so they can look and put out a CODE ADAM. The manager came(very nice, by the way) and said that the procedure is that all employees will look for 10 minutes and then they will call the authorities to help with the search. My heart sank. Yes, tears came to my eyes and what a mix of emotions flowed - if you know what I mean.
The manager asked me if it was possible that he went to the car. I didn't know but went and checked with a manager following me. To my great relief, he was there. He was hiding in the back so no one will see him. He was so scared too. UGH! I took him back to the store, they called off the CODE ADAM and gathered my other kids to finish shopping. Erin, James and I were all teary eyed and so relieved we found each other. I think I aged 10 years right there and then.
I learned some things.
1- DO NOT, under any circumstances, let James out of my sight until he is on the plane for his mission. (OK, that is a little drastic - but, come on!)
2- Even though I am scared, mad, embarrassed and every other emotion, let the store help you. It was so nice that I knew they were helping and doing everything they could.
3-When they were asking his description, it was harder than I thought. Some days I don't really know what shoes he was wearing or what coat he put on. I need to make better observations before we go into places that large. (or else dress him the same EVERY day! ha. Ha.)
4- Teach the kids that the employees with a name tag are the "good strangers". If he would have gone to one of the employees and said he was missing his mom- it would have helped out the whole situation. He knows it now.
On the way home Erin asked me if I knew what she was doing while she was waiting with William while I was looking for James. She said that she was saying a lot of prayers to help find him. I'm so thankful for faithful children.
Although I have more grey hair on top, prayers are answered and we are all OK. (OK I say because this trip was right after a Dr. visit with Erin and James both being diagnosed with strep throat. I know, I know, it is one thing or another at this house. I can't wait until warmer weather!)
Don't be afraid of Code Adam and I'll pay more attention next time I hear one and help them out.

Comments
I'm so relieved that you found him. That is seriously every mom's nightmare.
I'm glad everything turned out well. (ok, except for the strep throat! You've had a long winter!)
So glad you have him in your arms!They are super fast. Sorry about the strep, we all have the 2 week cough. Not fun...