It's a Cucumber Year!

If you have ever heard any Mormon jokes regarding zucchini and leaving your car door unlocked - I want to tell you that it really is true! There are some years that zucchini rules. Those plants are so prolific. This year, it seems, is a cucumber year. I'm not kidding. There are boxes of cucumbers at the church, village store, I think I even saw one at the post office! It seems that wherever I go - someone is offering cucumbers. I live in this great community that believe in gardens.

I grew up with gardens so I know what I should do with these cucubers too. However, I'm not a good pickle maker. I'm not. I do a pickles veggie medley but that is as far as my pickling goes.
So for now, I'm searching for cucumber recipes. Other than salads, it is limited. Any ideas?

Comments

sliced in salt and vinegar!! De-lish!
Jodie said…
YUMMY! My grama always made sliced cukes and coated them in miracle whip and added thin sliced onions. Add salt & pepper and they are sooooo good. Makes me crave them right now!
Jake and Krista said…
Trish, there's only one way to eat cucumbers and Stuart and Kimber hit it on the head. Slice 'em up. Soak 'em in ice cold 50/50 water and vinegar. Refrigerate for a while and eat. Best to eat them when they're still crunchy though, too long soaking/too old and they can get soggy.
Mels said…
wow! I'm glad someone is enjoying the fresh produce. We have wanted a garden for so long but after planting two years in a row hear and having produced a few tomatoes and 1 squash and 1 zuccini we found it is near impossible. As soon as it's starts to produce the cotton fields behind us get sprayed and that kills our crop. Enjoy all those wonderful veggies, I'm jealous! Cumcu. & cherry tomatoes in a pasta with cooked diced chicken and ranch dression (add anything else you like) is one dish I really like:)
Mels said…
ok sorry but my spelling is really bad after 4 kids...it's dressing not dression and a few other flubbed keystrokes:)
Tricia said…
Thanks! How do you get KIDs to eat cucumbers and vinegar? I love it!
why would you share fresh cukes in vinegar????

That's how we got hooked - g'ma wouldn't share!

Popular Posts