UGH!

William has been sick for two weeks with the crud. You know, the generic name for coughing, snorting, runny snot and the such. It seems to be getting a bit better when alas, James is sick. We went to the ER on Saturday night with an ear infection. "Viral" I was told. Sent us home with pain drops only. Well, Sunday after church we find blood coming out his ear. His drum broke and we took him to the dr. on Monday. He has an uncommon and extremely painful ear infection with little blisters all over his drum. When they pop - it is painful. The DR. just wrapped his arms around him. On the bright side, the dr. said he doesn't see this return to the same ear again. Maybe we are good to go. He got the same infection last year in the other ear. He is just miserable. We are hoping to find relief today and feel better. We came home with oral antibiotics and ear drop antibiotics. He is one tough kiddo.

I was discouraged with being misdiagnosed the first trip to the ER. I know when my kid is sick and James was miserable. Frustrating when I just wanted to take the pain away from him. He will mend, I know. I tell him that I tried. I really tried to stop it before it got so bad. My own childhood of earaches provides a lot of empathy. I question this new "viral" campaign of our medical field. How deaf do we have to get, how many tears do we have to shed, how much menengitis and other severe side effects from mistreated ear infections do we have to go through before they get a grip?

OK, I vented. Now, wish me luck!

Comments

Jodie said…
Poor little guy! I hear you on the whole new "viral" campaign. We have had our fair share of "viral" things this year including my "viral" pneumonia that turned into a total nightmare. ARRRGGGHHHH! I get very frustrated when I take the time and spend the extra money to go to the ER only to be told it is a virus. Don't they realize by now that we mom's know our kids? Okay, thanks for letting me vent also. :)
Mels said…
I hear you. I've regreted every ER trip for that same mis-diagnois problem. They just don't know. It usually takes a follow up day when Dr's in again to get it figured out right. I was most angry when Colton was two and could hardly breath and the nurse placing patients orders placed him at a 3 hour wait he thought he had a slight infection. Turned out he had pnemonia, had to be admitted and transported to another hospital. My latest mess up was when Whitney had Strep and they didn't want to test her cause she had a rash which they said was viral. Guess what- she ended up with scarlet fever because it was strep that went untreated. Her poor little hands pealled like gloves, she had a miserable time. I'm glad he's doing better. Hope it goes better next year. My kids seem to do better the older they get:) Miss ya- Mels

Popular Posts