Don't Mention Nylons!

I learned something today. After several years in the Primary, I am enjoying RS again. We had a lesson today based on Sister Beck's talk "Mothers Who Know". Good talk. I didn't realize what a hot topic it brings up. Now, if you read this talk, it won't mention nylons - but in our ward it is mentioned. Somehow the discussion led to how we must never wear flip-flops and always wear nylons to church. Tears flowed and emotions were strong with this topic. Good Grief! I know Pres. Holland has counseled us on flip-flops. THe nylons thing is what got me. I think they were getting a little too pushy. I would love the leadership to tell the sisters in Tonga and Samoa that they must wear nylons with their lava-lava! That would go over well! If some of you out there has ever heard a talk about nylons and church - let me know. I'm just stinkin' curious now. I guess this topic has come up before in RS with similar results. I think modesty should be more of an issue than nylons!

Comments

Crouch6 said…
Brother! Some people need to not comment in a lesson. I would have been rolling my eyes the whole time. There were TEARS!
You have some weird rules at your church.

We can have extra lights at our church, we can wear flip flops, nylons are discouraged (especially in nursery or primary and NEVER in seminary - oh wait, that last one is just for me!)and cowboy boots are worn with pants and dresses. (That's probably ok where you are too.)

They chose not to do that talk in our ward for FEAR of the outrage, but I thought that talk was very touching and applicable. It touched a TON of sensitive topics though (and I can see how the guilt that we as women already carry to easily be brought to the surface).

Your ward is brave! I have to admit I probably would've laughed too, if there was an extended discussion on nylons.
Tricia said…
I know! Imagine that we belong to the same church! Boots are a common sight here too. I like your theory of nylons - never!
Jodie said…
Holy Moses! This just irks me. And you're right, I've been to Tonga and most of the women do not wear nylons, especially with their flip flops! :) I fear Sister Beck's talk. It just shows me all I'm NOT doing. I try and avoid it at all costs. LOL

Popular Posts