Calling all Wolves!
UGH!! What else can you say when you are awake at 4:23 AM?!?!
Let me vent. Yes, that is when the dear old town homeland security siren went off this morning. It is a real issue to me! SOMEONE decided that we needed this siren. It is ridiculous! It used to go off for every little fire and 911 call. It has slowed a little, but it went off this morning - basically in the middle of the night. In our neck of the woods, we have tons of ditch fires that get out of control, hay stacks that ignite, or sheds that should have been burned years ago. MOST fires do not require a person in Basin to hit a switch and send us in a panic. If I understand, this is to protect us from terrorists, tornados, and major natural disasters. I appreciate the effort - but it is "calling wolf".
If you don't have one in your neck of the world - be grateful. The sound immediately sends adrenalin surging through your body. It sends you in panic.So, after calming the kids and discovering it is a ditch fire on Farmer Smith's place, you settle down and get mad. Also, keep in mind - only a few blocks around the actual siren hear it - not the entire county or fire district. They say it is to get the responders to the call. Even I know they have pagers - that work. The WHOLE WORLD does not need to panic!!! I'm in Burlington for goodness sake!!! Most of the responders are out of town - not within "siren" distance!!
As a result of using this siren so randomly and often - we are now trained to roll over in bed and wait for the two minutes to get over. My kids even just roll over now. The poor animals hate it too! So, if a tornado or mass destruction WERE to come our way - we'd all just roll over and ignore it. I'd really like it to be a legite reason the next time that dang thing goes off - legite, I say!!!
Why do we have this???????
Let me vent. Yes, that is when the dear old town homeland security siren went off this morning. It is a real issue to me! SOMEONE decided that we needed this siren. It is ridiculous! It used to go off for every little fire and 911 call. It has slowed a little, but it went off this morning - basically in the middle of the night. In our neck of the woods, we have tons of ditch fires that get out of control, hay stacks that ignite, or sheds that should have been burned years ago. MOST fires do not require a person in Basin to hit a switch and send us in a panic. If I understand, this is to protect us from terrorists, tornados, and major natural disasters. I appreciate the effort - but it is "calling wolf".
If you don't have one in your neck of the world - be grateful. The sound immediately sends adrenalin surging through your body. It sends you in panic.So, after calming the kids and discovering it is a ditch fire on Farmer Smith's place, you settle down and get mad. Also, keep in mind - only a few blocks around the actual siren hear it - not the entire county or fire district. They say it is to get the responders to the call. Even I know they have pagers - that work. The WHOLE WORLD does not need to panic!!! I'm in Burlington for goodness sake!!! Most of the responders are out of town - not within "siren" distance!!
As a result of using this siren so randomly and often - we are now trained to roll over in bed and wait for the two minutes to get over. My kids even just roll over now. The poor animals hate it too! So, if a tornado or mass destruction WERE to come our way - we'd all just roll over and ignore it. I'd really like it to be a legite reason the next time that dang thing goes off - legite, I say!!!
Why do we have this???????

Comments