The Picture of Determination

James is one determined child. He came that way. Sometimes it is to his benefit - sometimes not. Here he is carving a bar of soap with his little pocket knife when he figured out that the soap flakes were hurting his eyes. I suggested some goggles (thinking of the kind Wade wears in the shop). He solved the problem with his swimming goggles - without a care that they weren't clear to see through, and kept on carving. It kept him entertained for quite a while. No blood either!
James came home from school where they had been learning how to make heart shapes. I practiced with him a few hearts and with great delight - he got more paper and made more hearts! I was trying to fix dinner so I asked him to clear the table and I could tell he was not done making hearts yet. So we figured out he could finish on the floor out of the traffic flow and keep making hearts to his hearts content. That is just what he did. Not every attempt was a heart - in fact only a true heart turned out every ten or so attempts. He was so thrilled when the cutout looked like a heart and would come bouncing over saying "I did it! I did it! It looks like a heart!"
Awe...to be like a child.

Comments

diana said…
What a cute kid! We are still working on the whole heart cutting thing. We had a little trauma at the beginning of kindergarten when Isabelle cut off the gingerbread man's arms. Still working on mastering the scissors!

Popular Posts